4 medium sized eggplants (cut width wise into 1.5 cm slices)
1 tbsp salt
½ cup plain flour
⅔ cup olive oil
700ml passata or already made Napoletana sauce
¼ cup fresh basil leaves (plus extra for garnishing)
300g fresh, mild pecorino (grated)
100g aged pecorino (grated)
200g parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1. Marinate eggplant with salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
2. Rinse eggplant under water and pat dry with paper towel.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C. (180°C if fan-forced)
4. Coat eggplant in flour and shake to remove excess.
5. Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat.
6. Cook eggplant pieces for approximately 3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
7. Use paper towel to absorb excess oil from cooked eggplant.
8. Combine mild and aged pecorino with parmigiano reggiano cheese in a bowl.
9. Have cheese, basil and sauce nearby, ready for layering your eggplant parmigiana.
10. Get your non-stick baking dish and brush base with olive oil.
11. Coat base with a layer of passata or Napoletana sauce. Ensure the layer is spread evenly.
12. Place your first layer of eggplant on top of sauce base, followed by another layer of sauce, then a handful of the combined cheeses and a sprinkle of basil.
13. Continue to layer your dish in this same sequence until you have reached a desired height. Be generous with your layering, but keep in mind the amount of ingredients available.
14. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
15. If required, drain any excess liquid whilst cooking.
16. Sprinkle left over basil on top and serve.
17. Buon Appetito!
For an even better dining experience, serve your finished eggplant parmigiana with some toasted ciabatta bread, thinly sliced prosciutto di parma and some creamy buffalo mozzarella.