200g unsalted butter (additional for greasing)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
5 cups cooking cream
455g dry spaghetti
120g chopped, cooked ham (any kind)
240g Italian mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup Italian parmesan cheese (grated)
2 cups white bread crumbs
1 cup water
1-2 cups canola oil (for frying)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Melt butter in a saucepan of reasonable depth over a medium to high heat.
2. Add ½ cup all-purpose flour, stirring continuously for two minutes.
3. Add cream and bring to the boil before reducing the heat to medium.
4. Cook until thickened (approximately 4-5 minutes) and set aside.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add spaghetti with a sprinkle of salt.
6. Cook pasta for about 7 minutes or until al dente.
7. While waiting, grease a medium to large sized baking dish with additional butter.
8. Once ready, drain pasta and transfer to another bowl and add sauce, ham, mozzarella, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
9. Mix ingredients well, until combined.
10. Pour pasta mixture into baking dish and press to form an even layer.
11. Cover with cling wrap and place in fridge to set (approximately 1 ½ hours).
12. Once firm, prepare oil for frying.
13. In a deep saucepan, heat oil over a medium to high heat until deep-frying temperatures are reached (160˚C – use a cooking thermometer to check).
14. Use remaining flour to form a batter by whisking with water.
15. Have breadcrumbs ready in another bowl for crumbing.
16. Use a 2” round cutter to cut 30 round portions out of set pasta.
17. Dip each piece in batter then roll in breadcrumbs before frying.
18. Fry until golden brown and crispy (approximately 2-3 minutes).
19. Sprinkle fritters with grated parmesan cheese.
20. Mangia! – Eat!