With spring coming to an end and summer beginning, broad beans are still in season and still delicious! Throw together this simple, tasty salad for a quick meal during the week or when entertaining friends.
6 slices of fresh sourdough (thinly sliced)
80ml extra virgin olive oil (some for dressing)
250g fresh broad beans
½ tsp crushed garlic
½ tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
2-3 fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
6 slices fresh prosciutto (thinly sliced)
3 large bocconcini (roughly torn)
sea salt (to taste)
cracked black pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C if fan-forced).
2. In a medium-large sized pot over high heat, add water (half way) and a couple of pinches of salt. Bring to a rolling boil.
3. Whilst water is reaching boiling point, remove broad beans from their pods and gently rinse under cold water.
4. Once water is boiling, add broad beans to pot and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes or until tender.
5. Whilst broad beans are cooking, brush sourdough bread with extra virgin olive oil and place onto baking tray.
6. Place bread in oven and cook for approximately 1-2 minutes or until crisp.
7. Once broad beans are ready, remove from heat and drain. Let cool for 30-60 seconds. Once cool enough to handle, peel broad beans to remove outer skin.
8. Remove bread from oven once ready.
9. In a medium sized bowl, add crushed garlic, mint, chives, lemon juice and the remaining olive oil. Use a fork to gently whisk and combine ingredients.
10. Add broad beans to bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss ingredients to coat broad beans with dressing.
11. For the salad, arrange the sliced prosciutto and torn bocconcini on a serving plate and spoon the broad bean mixture on top.
12. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve with toasted bread.